Wednesday

Candy of the Month


Blowing Bubbles...
Bubble Gum is the candy of the month!!
Not just any bubble gum mind you.
I am talking specifically about the
Big Three
Bubble Yum

Hubba Bubba


Bubblicious

Bubble Yum was actually the first soft bubble gum ever created! - Introduced in 1975 by Lifesavers - the demand became so great, the company actually had to curtail marketing to keep up with it. Hershey acquired the Bubble Yum brand in 2000, and is responsible for one of the Gakeest flavors of gum - Hershey's Chocolate - yucko! My personal favorite Bubble Yum flavor is Original, followed by Cotton Candy as a close second.


Hubba Bubba is a Wrigly Brand - they offer bubble tape and "goop". Personally I don't find the bubble tape as satisfying as a nice soft plug of bubble gum, BUT, from a kid standpoint I can see the advantages of the tape - it can be rationed and made to last a long time....the "goop" is really not something that provides a pleasurable chewing experience - anything that goes from liquid to solid while you chew is a bit unnerving - don't you think?

My favorite Hubba Bubba flavor is Cherry lemonade. Hubba Bubba Max has the duo color gum, which is especially pleasing to the eye.

Bubblicious is produced by Cadbury Adams. Bubblicious packaging is the most eye catching and their gonzo grape flavor is vastly superior to other grape "imposters"




Bazooka and gumballs from a machine DO NOT COUNT this month! - anything that looses it's flavor within the first 30 seconds is kind of a waste of time (in my humble opinion!)

My most vivid bubble gum experience happened when I was about 13. My brother, Mom, Grandmother, and I were taking a Summer road trip from Northern California to Oregon for a family reunion. As usual, my brother and I had spent our pocket money at the first service station we stopped at - loading up on candy and of course, packs of gum. I was chewing grape Hubba Bubba - and for some reason had stuffed about five pieces into my mouth at the same time... we may have been having a gum-chewing or bubble blowing competition but I don't really remember.

I DO remember my jaw hurting as I chewed what, over time, had become a huge flavorless wad of gum. We were driving through Redding California when I finally decided to throw the wad out of the car window. I am sure you have guessed the result of that action by now, but the next time we stopped and got out we were all treated to a hideous mess. My huge gum wad had melted and stretched over the entire side of my Grandmothers white Vega - purple goo with road debris and bug parts stuck to it - it was disgusting!
Needless to say
Gum was outlawed for the rest of THAT trip!.

To participate in this Month's Candy Club Challenge

Post a comment about your favorite gum experience, flavor, or go out and try one of the BIG THREE and blow some big bu-bu- bu -bubbles!

Extra credit for those who have had to have chunks of gum cut out of their hair in the morning!

the prize this month is a Sweet B Lollipop Baby! -


Contest runs through the 18th of June!

In the meantime......Wanna See how Bubble Gum is made?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z69N3zwJUIE

I specifically love the "extruder" part and the big bin where the gum is kneaded - luscious!


Chew your Gum, even if it's ABC gum!

- Sweet B

9 comments:

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

My dentist doesn't like me chewing gum, but do I have great memories of chewing that sweet gum as a child!! Thanks for the memories Amelia!
Laurie

Jeanne said...

My Fav is Bubblicious - either cherry or watermelon. And I love to blow bubbles! I used to chew bubblegum so much that I would get a cramp in my jaw!
But the one memory that stands out is when I was about 10 or 12 I blew a huge bubble and it burst and splattered gum in my hair. My Mom fussed at me the whole time she cut it out. And I went to school the next day with the hair on one side of my face tremendously shorter than the other. But that didn't keep me from blowing bubbles! :0)

Brandi McKenna said...

Hubba Bubba original! Takes me back to the carefree 80's where we rode in back of my Dad's pick up...also would get at the country store.. cold Cokes, Cool Ranch Doritos, and then go back home and ride horses bareback through our pond. My sister also favored Rolos....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I deleted my first comment... oopsie bad grammar.

My favourite brand/flavour (from when I was a young) was Black Cat Bubble Gum. I loved the licorice flavour but am not a big fan of black licorice today.

Was it Dubble Bubble that had the comic inside? I LOVED that powdery coating and the very lame comic too.

Cutting gum out of hair: Mine, maybe once, but I have had to cut it out of Bailey's hair does that count?

Halloween Fanatic said...

"Chewing,chewing, all day long"...
I love them all!!I cannot choose a favorite brand, but the flavor would have to be watermelon-YUM-YUM-YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Michele said...

Unfortunately, I have had too many "memorable" experiences of stepping on a wad of this stuff on a hot and humid day! What a joy it was picking out of the soles of my sneakers! AARRGGHHHH
~.~

Christopher A. Klingler said...

LOVE Bubble Yum!!! ~ Yummy!

Chris :-)

Tumbleweed Trails said...

I love Bubble Yum in the Cotton Candy flavor. Oh my, I have indeed gotten up on some mornings as a child with gum stuck in my hair. The very worse was when it was stuck close to my scalp and by my bangs. After having it cut out I looked like quite the beauty queen that's for sure. Eecks!

Jody